Many of us living today will need to relearn skills that have been lost during our parents’ generation. These traditional practices of a less technological world were abandoned and not passed down in the wake of the green revolution, rising consumerism, and shifting gender roles. Now we must turn back to them in a radical effort to rebuild a sustainable planet.
Some of the skills we will need to relearn:
- How to cook from scratch with whole foods.
- How to live with and heal from illness without grabbing a medicine bottle.
- How to deal with pain without pills.
- How to clean a house without synthetic chemicals.
- How to make household cleaners, dish soap, and laundry soap.
- How to make body care products like shampoo and lotion.
- How to dry clothes on the line — even in cold, wet weather.
- How to grow an edible garden.
- How to breastfeed one’s babies (through the second year!).
- How to sew and make clothing.